With the opening of its retail outlets and showrooms, the company gradually cemented its reputation as a reliable supplier of quality household and kitchenware. This tremendous success and growth was achieved due to the far-sighted policies and efficient management techniques employed by the company together with the maintenance of a very high standard of product quality.
With industry trends and demands ever increasing, the company too strives hard to meet this challenge by constantly increasing its variety and product range with quality products from many leading international suppliers.
Today with an extensive range of quality tableware, kitchenware, bare ware, banquet ware, catering equipment, foodservices & related equipment and utensils for the food & beverage industry , ‘Abdul Rahims’ is positioned as one of the leading suppliers in the trade with a network of outlets spread throughout the country.
The strength of the company’s “Goodwill” could be measured by its diverse range of clientele consisting of hotels, restaurants, clubs, beverage establishments, airlines, cruise operations offshore supply bases, educational and medical institutions, food courts, cafeterias and general consumers.
Company History Timeline
Started in 1872, in Fort Galle by I.L.M Mohamed Cassim in the name of his eldest son, "Mohamed
Cassim Abdul Rahim ". I.L.M Mohamed Cassim's 3 other son's also become part of the business:
• M.C Semsemi
• M.C Jaleel
• M.C Abdul Cader
This formed the partnership of M.C. Abdul Rahims & Brothers.
- 1929 : Moved head office and branch to Keyzer street
- 1930 : M.C Abdul Rahims moved from Castle Hill Street to present location at Colombo Street, Kandy.
- 1940's : Supplied furniture to British Navy in Trincomalee
- 1948 : M.C Abdul Rahims moved into Nuwara Eliya
- 1950's : Japan Trading Company Started. Office was at 2nd cross street, Pettah
- 1958 : Opened Welawatta, Colombo Showroom
- 1940's 50's 60's : Agencies for Johnson Brothers, Wedge Wood...
- 1964 - 1994 : Joint venture to manufacture: Diamond Fans, Corrugated Paper, Diamond cookers &
- 1970's : Invested in the Jewelry Business.
- 1970's : 50% Stake in businesses in Saudi Arabia - Tea, Watches...
- 1996 : Purchased Kandy Property & Moved into our own building
- 2003 : Moved out of 90, Keyzer Street, Colombo 01
- 2004 : Shop within a shop concept launched to have wider reach of Abdul Rahim products, without having our own branches - Partnered with Singer Mega. (Mt. Lavinia, Nugegoda, Duplication Road, Wattala, Negambo)
- 2006 : Opened an outlet at Dwellings, Green Path, Colombo 03
- 2009 : Opened at Singer Mega - Kandy
- 2010 : Opened at Singer Mega - Rajagiriya
- 2010 : Opened an Outlet at LifeStyles Store in Kohuwela
- 1872 : By founder, Mr. I.L.M. Mohamed Cassim
- 1952 – 1965 : Mr. M.C. Cader
- 1965 – 1983 : M. S.M. Hussain
- 1983 – a few weeks : Mr. S.M.S. Mashoor
- 1984 – 1988 : Mr. Zain Jaleel
- 1988 – 31st March 2006 : Mr. Razik Cader
- 2006 – Present: : Mr. Ruzly Hussain
Mr. I.L.M Mohamed Cassim
To reach the heights of excellence in the field of household ware , whilst responding to the needs of an evolving national and international market.
To face the challenges ahead with much confidence, pride and optimism whilst reinforcing our existing strengths to be the leader in the field of wholesale and retail trade in household ware and to diversify into new products to meet the dynamic changes in consumer habits and preferences both locally and internationally.